Sunday 17 October 2010

Hope yet for my screaming soul

For the last few years I have been feeling a sense of frustration. No, not that! As first a parent, then a governor and now a teacher I have observed how schools have become increasingly shackled by government who have realised that people can tell it's not working. So what did they do? They decided we should all sing from the same hymnsheet and gave us the national curriculum. OK. Then they decided we should see how schools are managing childrens progress an gave us SATs. Has this improved learning though? I don't think so.
When I studied for my degree, which was late in life, lecturers complained that schools and colleges were churning out children that couldn't think for themselves, had little deep learning and couldn't accept failure. I wonder why?
Recently I have broadened my horizons by sitting in front of my computer. (Yes you can do this) By using Twitter, reading blogs and actually using the technologies I have such faith in, I have found that there are many people like myself out there. My one worry is that these people are on the fringe with such radical ideas that nothing will come of them. But are they? Or are they very well informed people with vision to see our education system holistically and temporally and understand what needs to happen? I think it is the latter.
One such person is Sir Ken Robinson. Yep him.
The following speech he made was first brought to my attention by Doug Dickinson. (http://www.dougdickinson.co.uk/blog/) Another one of those well informed types by the way. See what you think



No comments:

Post a Comment